Ara: History Untold – How Its Dynamic Map System Sets It Apart from Civilization

andrewlerolo

Reaction score
Although Ara: History Untold bears some similarities to Civilization, the soon-to-be-released grand strategy game distinguishes itself in significant ways. One of the biggest differences is its simultaneous turn resolution, which developer Oxide has detailed in one of their dev diaries. However, there's another standout feature that I had initially overlooked, even though it's evident in nearly every screenshot: Ara's map isn’t divided into a standard grid or hexagon pattern.

Instead, Ara's world is composed of irregularly-shaped regions. This unique design was highlighted during a recent interview with Gabriela Leskur, Ara's narrative and experience lead, and Matt Turnbull, executive producer at Xbox Game Studios Publishing.

"I'm a big fan of Risk, but we're not playing a board game; we're actually trying to simulate some of what we see in real life," explained Leskur. "What's unique about Ara is that we have these dynamically generated regions. They're not hexes; they're irregularly shaped based on natural elements you observe in the world—along rivers, coastlines, and other natural boundaries. These unusual shapes reflect how real cartographers have mapped things historically and the actual geography of the natural world."

These irregular regions function as the primary units of land that cities expand into, and military forces move through them one by one across the map. In this way, they operate similarly to a conventional grid, but their size, shape, and number of sides vary. It gets more intricate when you consider the sub-regions, known as zones.

Leskur compares the regions to pizzas. When moving troops, they operate at the "full pizza" scale, transitioning from one region to another. However, land improvements are made on the "slice" level, and, like pizzas, regions aren't always divided into the same number of slices (or zones).

"When I'm expanding my city, I think strategically," Leskur said. "I expand by claiming nearby regions and consider, 'How many zones are in this region?' If I want to build an impressive Triumph, like the Pyramids of Giza, I might prefer a region with just two zones—two equal slices—since I’m dedicating the entire region to that grand structure. But if I want to claim a region for farming or other improvements, I’d opt for one with five or six slices, because each zone represents an opportunity for enhancement."

Another key strategic element is the number of edges each region has, which affects how units move around the map. "In a hex-based system, each tile has six borders," Turnbull explained. "In Ara, our regions might have four, two, or seven borders, depending on factors like size, shape, natural features, proximity to coasts or rivers, and more. These factors contribute to a more intuitive experience of building a world, conquering territory, and defending it with your armies."

Top Bottom